Pages

Friday 31 August 2012

Monotony



You know that feeling, when you get back from holiday, how it’s nice to get back be home, to get back to normal?

Odd isn’t it?

People spend months looking forward to going away and then are glad to be home. It seems to be all about routine. Routine comforts us. We don’t have to think, because we know what’s going to happen and when.

(I know, for instance, that the second I’ve finished this post, I’m going to make a cup of very strong coffee. It’s what I do at this time of the afternoon.)

Now, the thing about this comforting routine is that it gets pretty dull after a while. Monotonous. Dull. Monotonous. Dull. Yes, like that. So we want to do something different. Then after a while, that something different becomes the norm. Routine, you might say. Maybe even a little bit dull.

A person could spent their lives going around in that kind of loop. I think I have. I doubt I’m alone.

Coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment